prairie spot

Saturday, May 29, 2004

blank slate

I wonder if ancient writers faced a blank tablet of stone and froze in terror. That first dent in the virgin stone would forever spoil its smooth visage. From that first strike, information was recorded for posterity. Even now I follow that same cycle, pressing keys and depositing information in the written history of civilization. Will there come a time when my words are as incomprehensible to the 'people' of that age as the cuneiform is to me? Yes. Examine Beowulf, written just over a thousand years ago and the language is nearly foreign. The alphabet is similar, but the very rules by which words were constructed are different. English speakers have about an even chance of comprehension reading modern French versus old English. Gentle reader, enjoy this moment, the brief spot in which you and I touch and my words pass your eyes and into your mind. They will remain on hard drives and print outs for as long as those tool exist, but the idea will also travel in the minds of the reader. Perhaps one day I will have an idea that resonates strongly with many people in many places and they like it so much that they teach it to their children. Someday maybe I can create a meme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home